Sp4rk's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gamespot News
<div style="background-color: none transparent;"><a href="http://www.rsspump.com/?web_widget/rss_widget/twitter_widget" title="web widget">Twitter Widget</a></div>

Half-Life 2 - Buy it, shelve your other games for a while.

Go down

Half-Life 2 - Buy it, shelve your other games for a while. Empty Half-Life 2 - Buy it, shelve your other games for a while.

Post  GuiltySp4rk Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:16 am

Half-Life 2 - Buy it, shelve your other games for a while. 414EX5CYMTL._SL500_AA280_

Half-Life 2
Half-life 2 was the game that made me take gaming seriously in the first place and launched me into a life long obsession with the Half-Life universe as if it were Star Wars. This game remains my favorite game of all time and in my book, IS the best game of all time.

Gameplay: This game took the term "FPS" beat it over the head with a shovel and threw it out the window. While playing you'll encounter situations that require precise aim, a quick trigger finger, and brains. The presentation value is very high, imagine a game that brings in game characters to a level that you begin to care about them... Aside from what you see and feel, you'll get to drive a neat "airboat" and a fairly quick buggy(it's got a shiny turbo button Twisted Evil ), while using these vehicles expect a lot of jumps/swerves/skids/and the occasional rollover. Now, if you don't like puzzles, this game is still for you. Somehow it manages to throw physics based puzzles and a few precision jumping puzzles but it all flows very nicely and feels the way it should.

Graphics: At the time of playing this game for the first time I was very new to gaming in general and only owned a low end office PC. So I'll be reviewing the graphics from an exclusively Xbox standpoint. With that said, WOW. I've played a few games before this on the Xbox, but when I fired this up thinking I was playing the average shooter, I was proven wrong. I was stunned by the sight of the opening sequence and the train station. As I made my way through the station I gazed down at the floor, subconsciously racing with the reflections on the floor from the lights in the ceiling. Come on we've all done this walking through Wal-Mart staring at the floor... Ok just me. Anyway, upon making my way out to the plaza my jaw literally dropped as I took a minute to stare at the breathtaking environment. I've done my research and there is maybe one place on earth that remotely resembles City 17 so the fact that VALVe could make a setting that is so convincingly real, yet isn't, is an incredible achievement. The water... You'll want to rub your eyes and take another look expecting something less amazing, but it won't work. The reflection, refraction, and transparency is amazing. Textures are a bit blurry but, it is the Xbox and is limited believe it or not. And oddly enough, it seems to add to the feeling of the game. Overall the Source engine is incredible and while playing you'll often forget it's a game and find yourself lost in the story, visuals, and atmosphere of this masterpiece.

Sound: The sounds in this game are amazing, but don't keep the volume up to loud or you may get a headache. Most sounds in the game are fine and may frighten you at times, but some of the weapons may induce a little bit of a Tylenol fixable headache. Other than that the sound design is amazing and nothing sounds out of place. Apart from how good things sound, the sounds match things well. When you see a Stryder for the first time and you hear the pulsating sound of it's massive cannon, you'll likely pause the game and say a silent prayer... Voice acting is amazing, and never feels cheesy, you'll feel like a blind person watching an awesome movie... Ok that was a bad analogy but it's about right.

Control: Not much to say here, you'll never stop to look at the button map more than once. It just works.

Replay Value: Being a fairly linear game, it won't keep you from wanting more. I found myself just replaying different parts of the game over and over again trying to take in the experience. But, it has zombies and a shotgun, I'd say theres some replay value.

Multiplayer: No, but VALVe has some very good titles on the PC you may want to look into for good multiplayer. Team Fortress 2, Counter Strike Source, and (my favorite) Half-Life 2 Deathmatch. All can be downloaded through Steam.

My Final Opinion: Buy this game, and if you don't like it, you may find me and beat ME over the head with a shovel.
GuiltySp4rk
GuiltySp4rk
Admin
Admin

https://sp4rksplace.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down